Tuesday 25 April 2017

Super Kids: A Superhero Expansion for Hero Kids

Having grown up reading superhero comics and watching Superman (1978, 1980) and Batman (1989, etc.) take to the big screen during my early childhood and youth, I've been a fan of supers for quite some time. Admittedly, I didn't get to see the Superman movies until they were released on VHS.  I had a blast playing Champions (4th edition) as a teenager, with my favourite Champions character creation being Blizzardo!  Like so many others, I've enjoyed watching my favourite superheroes and their powers given awesome special effects life in more recent hits like the Avengers and X-Men series.  I'm currently listening to Drew Hayes' Super Powereds books via Audible

As a dad, it has now come time for me to pay it forward.  I have three little ones - 4, 8, and 10 - so all are in the sweet spot for Hero Kids gaming. And, boy do they love playing (Thank you, Justin!).  Plus, their favourite show right now is Teen Titans Go!  (If you pushed me on it, I'd admit to being a bit of a fan myself.)  Take these things and add in my love of role-playing, creating, using my imagination, and watching my kids have fun.  Result = Super Kids.


I enjoyed creating the Super Kids expansion material.  Kat Glidewell did a bang-up job on the artwork.  As I mentioned in the Discussions on the Super Kids' product page at DriveThruRPG, my aim was to do something similar to what Justin did in creating the Space Expansion for Hero Kids.  The focus was on introducing the supers genre to the Hero Kids system by way of 14 new superhero characters. The setting information has been kept light (for now), and a few new skills and descriptions were included.  One (unpublished) version of the product included details on character creation.  I didn't include it for two reasons: (1) I figured the core Hero Kids materials did a good job explaining the creation process; and, (2) I didn't have a long enough list of balanced powers (i.e., special actions and bonus abilities) for players to choose from.  Given the feedback I've received, I'm working on some options to bring character creation in.  This, along with what I've published so far, is being carried out mindful of balancing.  Warning! Supers can quickly break the game if not contained.  In an upcoming post, I will discuss where I'm at in creating new material.

No comments:

Post a Comment